ads

Sunday 8 August 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Is domain squatting still profitable? Is there a solution?

Ask HN: Is domain squatting still profitable? Is there a solution?
14 by 9387367 | 6 comments on Hacker News.
I have nothing to do with domain squatting, but I do own a .co.uk domain for over 20 years and 18 years ago I tried to buy the .com from what I then found out was a squatter, out of principle I turned their offer down and the .com domain remains vacant, it’s not a particular interesting or valuable domain, so I’m not surprised no one else bought it. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I let one other domain expire, it was for a brand I was creating, the domain was a made up word and a squatter registered that domain as soon as it expired, assuming some service registered it without any human supervision as that made up word holds no value to anyone else and I consciously decided to let it expire. Since I made up that word and it was 14 characters long, are they just going to keep it for 20+ years? This just made me wonder how many vacant domains we have today, that it must still be (unethical and) profitable and if it’s time to do something about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment