ads

Thursday 8 April 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I built it, nobody came, now what?

Ask HN: I built it, nobody came, now what?
44 by d--b | 61 comments on Hacker News.
Hi HN, I have built an application to scratch my own itch. It’s a tool that I had a need for in my day job for years. The problem it’s solving is a problem that I felt many people had too. But when I talked to people about it, most times it didn’t really click. So I thought “crap, they don’t get it, cause they don’t see it. Once I build it, they’ll get it”. I didn’t spend an awful lot of time on it. And I think the app is ok-ish for an MVP. Now I posted it here and there and sent it to a few people I know, but it doesnt seem good enough. I realize now the importance of having a broad reach. If I was someone like Mike Bostock, with a bunch of followers, I’d just post it to Twitter and voila. Someone said earlier on HN: building an MVP should include a distribution strategy. And I can feel that pain. Now distribution is something I have zero skills at. What should I do? There are a few things I could be doing, like: - get better at marketing, make a video for my target customers - try and build an audience through blogging and things of that nature - go and sell it to customers in real life. - try and find a co founder who would have the time and skills to do these things. - add more features to the MVP that people tell me are missing - create more documentation for the MVP, so that onboarding is smoother. What would have most impact in getting the app in front of people?

No comments:

Post a Comment